By Nora Firestone
These Greek Butter Cookies are called 'Kouranmbiethes'. This recipe is contributed by Nora and you can visit her website to know more (https://www.norafirestone.com/kourambiethes-recipe.html).
Yields about 65 cookies.
- 1 pound sweet unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour, sifted 3-4 times
- 1 ounce Ouzo Greek liqueur
- 2 teaspoons almond or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup additional powdered sugar for sprinkling
Optional: Chopped pecan or walnuts sprinkled over the finished cookies.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add flour gradually, until dough is smooth and elastic but not sticking to your hands. Knead for 5-minutes, adding the nuts if you opt to.
3. Pinch off small amounts of dough and form into crescent shapes (or any other fun shape you like stars or hearts).
4. Place on ungreased cookie sheet 1/2 inch apart (the dough will not spread while baking).
5. Bake for about 15-minutes until light golden brown.
6. Let the cookies cool. Dust the cookies with powdered sugar. Enjoy!